- ½ cup pecan halves, chopped
- 5 tablespoons coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch fine sea salt
- 3 tablespoons cold vegan butter
Sweet Potato Muffins
- 2 cups light spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1½ cups mashed cooked sweet potato flesh
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup melted coconut oil or vegan butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk (I used coconut)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease 10 cups of a standard size muffin tin and set aside.
- Make the streusel topping. In a small bowl, whisk together the chopped pecans, coconut sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Add the vegan butter to the bowl and mix it in with your fingers, breaking up the bits of butter and working them into the sugar and pecans. Once you have a sandy and crumbly texture, and the streusel sticks together when you pinch it with your fingers, set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a large bowl, combine the spelt flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and sea salt. Stir with a spatula to evenly mix.
- In an upright blender, combine the mashed and cooked sweet potato, maple syrup, coconut oil, non-dairy milk and vanilla. Blend on high until totally smooth and creamy.
- Pour the puréed sweet potato mixture into the large bowl with the spelt flour mixture. Use your spatula to get all of the sweet potato mixture you can out of the blender. Gently stir and fold everything together until JUST combined.
- Divide the muffin batter evenly among the 10 prepared muffin cups. Grab the pecan streusel from the fridge and divide it evenly among the tops of the muffins. Really press it into the muffin batter with your fingers.
- Bake the sweet potato muffins for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops are domed and slightly darkened and a paring knife/cake tester inserted into the middle of one comes out clean. Let the muffins cool completely before enjoying!
- This recipe is based on my banana bread recipe, so feel free to sub mashed banana for the sweet potato!
- This recipe sould work fine in a standard loaf pan, but you may have to cover the top with foil to prevent the streusel from burning. For a loaf, I’d bake it covered at 350 for about 35 minutes and then another 15-20 minutes uncovered.