- 3 pounds beef flank steak (or eye of round, top round, bottom round)
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 9 large garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup white or brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey (or sugar)
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons crushed chili pepper flakes, optional
- Thinly slice the beef along the grain into pieces 1/8 inch thick, 5 inches wide and 2-inches long.
- Combine soy sauce, garlic, sugar, honey, black pepper, liquid smoke, sesame seeds, and red pepper flakes (if you use) in a large bowl. Add the beef and mix and coat each piece. Cover and refrigerate for at least for 30 minutes, and up to overnight.
- Remove the slices and check if each piece is well dried. If some slices still need to dry more, put them into a basket or baking sheet and let them dry on the kitchen counter until well dried.
- Serve, or store in an airtight container or a plastic bag for up to 1 week at room temperature. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months. Defrost at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.